Monday, September 9, 2013

How to transform your child into CAPTAIN UNDERPANTS!!!!!!!!

The annual book character parade at my son's school is coming up.  In Kindergarten he wanted to be Firefighter Ted.  An adorable and super easy store bought costume later...


For first grade, I COMPLETELY forgot!  When we got to car line, he was in tears because he didn't have a costume.  I raced home and found his favorite book...DOCTOR Ted!  I dug through the costume tub and found a doctor shirt and stethoscope and drove 80mph back to his school...

Yeah, I didn't realize that the doctor costume was like a 5t!  OOPS!  But look at that face.  He was just so happy I made it back in time for him to participate!

This year I planned ahead.  I asked him what book he wanted to do as SOON as school started.  He wanted to be Captain Underpants!


So I went to find him a costume.  Sadly, that is NOT one you can buy!  I figured it would be easy to make one.  I mean it's a dude in his underwear with a cape!  Easy-peasy!  Well since NO ONE sells flesh colored shirts, I had to make one...

 I used half the bottle and 3 gallons of water in my sink.  I stirred it continuously for about 10 minutes and then took it out.  It was starting to get too dark.  I washed and dried it alone on the 20 minute cycle with a small amount of laundry detergent.


 

When it came out it was a perfect flesh color!  WOOHOO!!!   

Next, I took a sharpie to a pair of underwear that were 2 sizes too big for him...



I outlined it all the way around and put dashes on the top.

When he tried it on, he told me the cape needed to be cut and it needed dots on it.  He was VERY particular about how he wanted this costume...maybe he WAS embarrassed by last year's costume! ;)  So I gave him a sharpie and he dotted and then I cut it...

We also added two dots on the t shirt for nipples. When it was all done we tucked his shorts into the underwear, someone snapped and Braden became..Captain Underpants! TRA LA LA!!!!!!!


A full TWO days before the book parade!   He is so excted about wearing this tomorrow, but he still doesn't understand why he has to wear shorts under the underwear. *sigh* Boys.

Bonus...he loved it so much, this will also be his halloween costume!
                                                                  





No comments:

Post a Comment